We have recently become addicted to making homemade granola (sometimes called muesli here in Denmark). Match this crunchy goodness with a refreshing dollop of Greek yogurt - and you got yourself a fantastic breakfast (or treat)!
This is a super easy recipe and its a million time better than the store bought alternative. It also makes a perfect gift (hint hint). Recipe below...
A. Ingredients (you'll have to figure out the proportions to taste):
- Coconut Oil (about 2 - 3 tablespons)
- Dry oats (about half of total batch)
- Crushed nuts: almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazzlenuts
- Coconut flakes
- Pumpkin Seeds & Sunflower Seeds
- Raisins, Craisins or other dried fruit
- Honey (2 - 3 Tablespoons)
- A pinch or two of Salt
- Brown Sugar (2 - 3 tablespoons)
- Cinnamon (we use a lot)
- Vanilla (don't be shy with the vanilla)
- Heat a large frying pan to VERY LOW (we use level 1)
- Let the coconut oil heat up (it will 'melt' into a clear liquid)
- Add oats, brown sugar, nuts, seeds, raisins, cinnamon, vanilla, etc.
- Stir until the dry ingredients are coated with oil (you will smell the magic happening)
- Cook on low for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring often (taste along the way)
- Open some space on the pan surface for the honey, let it melt, then mix in
- Cook 2 -3 more minutes, remove from heat, let cool, serve and smile!
- Make a lot (it goes fast) and share with a friend.
- Store in a cool dry place
There are an infinite ways to modify this classic comfort food - so be creative! Try it for yourself and comment below to let us know how it goes and if you added anything especially delicious to it!